How do I notify the DVLA of scrapping my car?

February 29, 2024 by

It’s finally happened: your car has given up the ghost. It’s reached the end of its useful life with part exchange or sale not a realistic option, so scrapping is the best solution.

However, if you do this, you will need to let the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) know that the car no longer exists, which you can do either online or by post.


The easiest way to tell the DVLA you’ve scrapped your car is by using its website. You’ll just need the vehicle registration number, the 11-digit reference number from your V5C logbook (in Section Four, if your logbook was issued after April 2019, or Section Nine if it’s from before April 2019).

You’ll also need the name and address of the scrapyard that is disposing of it, even if you didn’t get any money for your car.

Fill in the online form with these details and you’re done. The DVLA now knows your car has been scrapped and is no longer on the road.

By post

If you want to go old-school and inform the DVLA by post that you’ve scrapped your car, the process is a little longer than the online option, but it’s still straightforward enough.

Just fill out Section Four of your logbook (or section nine if it’s from before April 2019), and post the relevant section to the DVLA at:

SA99 1BA

You’ll still need to tell the DVLA the name and address of the scrapyard. Once you’ve posted the section of your logbook, the DVLA will send you a confirmation letter, usually within four weeks.

What if I don’t have my V5C logbook?

If you’ve misplaced your V5C logbook, you wouldn’t be the first person to do this, so don’t panic. If you happen to have the reference number written down, you can still tell the DVLA about your car online.

In the likely event that you don’t have it written down, all you have to do is write a letter to the DVLA. Just explain that you’ve scrapped your car but don’t have the V5C.

Give them your full name and address and the car’s make, model and registration, along with the name, address and VAT number of the dismantler you’ve sold the car to. You can ask the scrapyard for these if you don’t have them.

It’s highly recommended that you sort a replacement logbook before scrapping your vehicle, though. If you apply online and pay £25, you should have your new V5C within five days. Although you don’t need your V5C to scrap the car legally, if you forget to inform the DVLA in writing you might remain as the registered keeper of the car, making you liable for any issues that arise.

Will I get confirmation from the DVLA?

Once you’ve notified the DVLA that your car has been scrapped, you should receive confirmation within four weeks that it has received this information.

This could be in the form of an email, if you did it online and gave them your email address, or you’ll get a letter through the post. You’ll also get a refund cheque sent through for any tax you had left on your car.

If you haven’t heard anything from the DVLA within four weeks, it may be worth giving them a ring on 0300 790 6802.

What if my car has been written off and scrapped by my insurance company?

If you’ve been in an accident and your car has suffered a lot of damage, it might be written off by the insurance company. This means the insurance company has deemed it beyond economic repair.

Depending on the extent of the damage, your car could legally be returned to the road, but in some cases it must be scrapped. If this is the case, your insurance company will usually go through this process on your behalf.

However, you can apply to have the registration number taken off the vehicle if you want to keep it, and you must tell the DVLA the vehicle is a write-off. You should also send the V5C to your insurance company, keeping the yellow ‘sell, transfer or part-exchange your vehicle to the motor trade’ section.

What if I don’t tell the DVLA I’ve scrapped my car?

If you don’t inform the DVLA about scrapping your car, you could be liable for fines.

As far as the DVLA is aware, if you don’t tell them about scrapping it, the car still exists and is your responsibility. This means you could get fined for not taxing the car, even though you don’t have it anymore.

There is also a £1,000 fine for not updating your vehicle’s details, so it’s worth checking that all your paperwork is in order.

Scrap or sell your old car with carwow

If you’re driving an older car, scrappage schemes might be a good way to get more money for your motor. Some manufacturers run deals where they will offer larger discounts on new cars if you offer your old car for scrap, so search online to see if any are running right now.

If your car isn’t eligible or you simply don’t want to scrap it, you can sell your car through carwow. Simply upload some photos and details and a network of trusted dealers will bid for your car, leaving you to choose the best offer.