The Ultra-Low Emissions Zone was introduced in 2019 as a way to reduce the number of high-polluting car’s entering the centre of London – currently, it covers the same area as the London Congestion Zone, but in 2021 its borders will expand to the North and South circulars – if your car isn’t compliant, you’ll be faced with a daily charge of up to £24 (or £12.50 if you avoid the additional charge of the London Congestion Zone).
ULEZ scrappage scheme – am I eligible?
Clearly, if you have a car that isn’t ULEZ compliant and you live in London, you’re going to want to change it. That’s where the Scrappage scheme comes in, it’s designed to help disabled and low-income Londoners scrap older, more polluting cars.
To apply you must be living within one of the 32 London Boroughs or the City of London and claiming one or more benefits, including:
- Universal Credit
- Armed Forces Independence Payment
- Attendance Allowance
- Carer’s Allowance
- Child Tax Credit
- Constant Attendance Allowance
- Disability Living Allowance
- Employment and Support Allowance
- Housing Benefit
- Income Support
- Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
- Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Pension Credit
- Personal Independence Payment
- Severe Disablement Allowance
- War Pensions Mobility Supplement
- Working Tax Credit
ULEZ scrappage scheme – is my car eligible?
Applicants can only scrap cars, motorcycles or mopeds that:
- Are registered with the DVLA to the applicant (or someone who lives at the same address as the applicant) and owned for more than 12 months before 23 October 2019.
- Are insured
- Have up-to-date MOT and road tax
- Don’t meet ULEZ emission standards
The ULEZ applies to cars that don’t conform to Euro 4 (diesel cars) or Euro 6 (petrol cars) emissions standards. Generally speaking, that covers diesel cars built before 2015 and petrols built before 2005.
ULEZ scrappage scheme – how much can I save?
If you and your vehicle qualify for the ULEZ scrappage scheme you can make a £1,000 saving on a new motorcycle or moped and £2,000 on a new car. The vehicle you scrap must not meet ULEZ standards and you must replace it with a vehicle does.