Compared to some confusing model ranges offered by some car makers, Kia’s system is refreshingly simple – each trim level is numbered from one to four. The larger the number, the more standard equipment it has.
The Sportage and Sorento SUVs gain a KX prefix ahead of the numbers to set them apart from the regular hatchbacks and estate cars elsewhere in the lineup. We’ve taken a look at the larger of the two, the Sorento, to help you figure out which trim you should shell out for.
The Sorento in KX-2 trim is already a very well equipped car. A full leather interior, a reversing camera and a seven-inch touchscreen navigation system are all featured as standard. An extra £3,850 beyond the KX-2’s asking price bags a KX-3, which adds:
- Automatic tailgate – ideal if you’re carrying bulky items, such as heavy shopping or unruly children
- 10-speaker audio system
- Eight-inch touchscreen satellite navigation
- Panoramic sunroof
- Electrically adjustable driver’s seat
- Keyless entry with start/stop button
- Xenon headlights
The KX-4 is better equipped still. It includes everything offered on the KX-3’s extensive list, plus:
- 19-inch alloy wheels
- 360-degree Around View Monitor – ideal for parking in tight spaces, displays a bird’s eye view of the car on the screen
- Solar glass – minimises the amount of UV light that enters the cabin on a sunny day, preventing the interior from getting too hot
- Adaptive Smart Cruise Control – through the use of radars and cameras, the system maintains a constant distance to the car in front
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert – this warns the driver of traffic behind when reversing out of a driveway or parking space
- Xenon adaptive headlights with auto levelling
- Blind Spot Detection – this informs the driver of vehicles which may be hidden from view by the car’s blind spot
The total cost of these added features comes to £3,400, bringing the total asking price up to £41,000.
With the exception of the added safety systems, few items on the KX-4 seem to be ‘must-haves’ so, unless you really want to impress the neighbours, the KX-3 should do just fine for most.
Save money on your new Kia
Put the Kia Sorento in our car configurator to see how much carwow could help you save. For more options, head over to our deals page or, if you still need help picking you next car, check out our car chooser.