Bugatti Rimac d.o.o has been created as a merger between Bugatti and Rimac, with both hypercar firms to operate independently of each other but work together on future technologies.
- Bugatti and Rimac partner to create new company
- Bugatti Rimac d.o.o to develop future technologies
- Could spawn range of future electric hypercars
- Rimac takes majority stake, along with Porsche investment
Bugatti and Rimac are partnering to create one hypercar mega-company, with both firms to team up on future technologies.
The creation of Bugatti Rimac d.o.o will see the two continue to operate separately from each other while putting their creative and technical minds together to develop future technologies.
Bugatti will continue to build the Chiron (and various special-edition versions, such as the Centennario) while Rimac will continue production of the electric Nevera hypercar.
A statement from Porsche regarding the partnership eludes ‘Jointly developed Bugatti models are planned for the longer term.’
Bugatti and Rimac could team up to create a ballistic electric hypercar, as imagined in the render below, though they may expand to producing a wider range of EV platforms for use in-house or for other manufacturers.
Rimac will take a 55% stake in the company as majority shareholders, with Porsche (Bugatti’s fellow VW Group member) taking the remaining 45% (alongside the 24% stake Porsche already holds in Rimac.)
Founder of Rimac, Mate Rimac, will become chief executive officer of the new company which will be based from a new headquarters in Croatia, at the recently-announced Rimac Campus.
Speaking on the announcement, Rimac himself said: “This is a truly exciting moment in the short, yet rapidly expanding history of Rimac Automobili. We have gone through so much in such a short space of time, but this new venture takes things to a completely new level. Rimac and Bugatti are a perfect match in terms of what we each bring to the table.”
Oliver Blume, Porsche AG chairman of the executive board, added “We are combining Bugatti’s strong expertise in the hypercar business with Rimac’s tremendous innovative strength in the highly promising field of electromobility.
“Bugatti is contributing a tradition-rich brand, iconic products, a loyal customer base and a global dealer network to the joint venture. In addition to technology, Rimac is contributing new development and organisational approaches.”
Don’t expect to see any results of this partnership anytime soon, it’ll be a few years yet before we see any hypercar spawned from this new company, though it could prove earth-shattering when it does arrive.
Keep up to date with the latest news
Sign up for the carwow newsletter by entering your email address below to receive regular updates featuring our latest videos, reviews, news stories and blog posts from across the world of cars. You can unsubscribe from these emails at any time.