2021 Porsche Cayenne E-Hybrid and Turbo S E-Hybrid electric range boost

October 28, 2020 by

Car changing is a big deal

The free, easy way to change your car online
Rated 4.6/5 from 53,160 reviews

New, more powerful batteries mean the 2021 Porsche Cayenne e-hybrid and Turbo S e-hybrid models can go further on electricity alone.

  • Updates for Cayenne hybrid range
  • Cayenne Coupe range also revised
  • Larger-capacity battery
  • Greater electric-only range
  • Total power output unchanged
  • Improved fuel economy
  • On-sale now
  • Costs from £69,980

The Porsche Cayenne and Cayenne Coupe E-hybrid models have been upgraded with more powerful batteries, boosting the distance they can drive on electricity alone. Battery capacity jumps 30% from 14.1kWh to 17.9kWh.

As a result, the new Cayenne E-Hybrid has an electric-only range of 29.8 miles, which is around five miles further than the outgoing car. The more powerful Cayenne Turbo S E-Hybrid can manage 26.1 miles – seven miles more than the previous model.

Both the standard Cayenne and Coupe version (shown here) receive E-Hybrid upgrades for 2021.

The electric motor that’s fitted to all Porsche’s Cayenne E-Hybrid models produces 136hp and 400Nm of torque. In the regular E-Hybrid, it is teamed with a turbocharged, 3.0-litre V6 petrol engine to produce a total of 462hp.

The Turbo S E-Hybrid has a twin-turbo, 4.0-litre V8 engine that produces 550hp by itself. Add in the electric motor and you get a whopping 680hp on tap. That’s the same as the current car, mind.

In all Cayenne and Cayenne coupe E-Hybrid models, the engine acts as a generator to top up the battery when it runs out of charge. Porsche has modified the system so that it now only tops the batteries up to an 80% full. Above 80%, the rate of charge slows significantly, reducing the efficiency of the engine, so you’d be better off plugging it in to charge up the remaining 20%.

New Cayenne E-Hybrid models can be recharged at home using a 3kW plug socket or by using a 7.2kW public charging point. You can also use the Porsche Mobile Charger Connection app to set a time that your car’s charging will finish, so it’ll always be ready in time for your morning commute.

The new Porsche Cayenne’s extended electric range also boosts its fuel economy figures. According to the new WLTP testing procedure, the new Cayenne E-Hybrid returns a claimed 76-91 mpg, compared with the outgoing car’s 52-72 mpg. The more powerful Turbo S E-Hybrid sees a similar improvement – it’s fuel economy has been upped from 52-58mpg to 69-74 mpg. You’ll have to charge the car’s batteries at every opportunity to get close to these figures, however.

The updated Cayenne hybrids are on sale now. The standard Cayenne E-Hybrid costs from £69,980, while the Coupe version will set you back from £73,050. More powerful Cayenne Turbo S E-Hybrids cost from £126,690 for the standard car and £129,290 for the Coupe.

Want to keep up to date with the latest news?

Sign up for the carwow newsletter by entering your email address below to receive regular updates featuring our latest videos, reviews, news stories and blog posts from across the world of cars. You can unsubscribe from these emails at any time.

By clicking the submit button you agree to our T&Cs and confirm you have read our Privacy Policy.